Monday, August 31, 2009

Wild Rice with Roasted Butternut Squash


2 c prepared Long Grain & Wild Rice
3 c butternut squash, peeled and cut to 1/2 inch dice
1 medium red onion, cut into 8ths
1 T fresh Thyme (or 1 t dried)
3 T olive oil
1 T balsamic vinegar
1/2 t kosher salt, more to taste
1 c walnuts
3 T walnut oil
1/4 c goat cheese

Preheat oven to 375. Toss squash, onion and thyme with oil, vinegar and salt. Spread in single layer on rimmed baking sheet and place on top rack of oven. Roast 30 minutes, stirring every 10 until desired tenderness.

Over medium-high flame, heat walnut oil for 3 minutes. Add walnuts and toast 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently. Allow to cool slightly.

In large bowl combine rice, roasted vegetables and toasted walnuts. Add salt to taste and top with crumbled goat cheese. Serves 6 as a side dish, serves 4 as a main.

3 comments:

  1. yum! i'll have to make this one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fortunately my husband doesn't mind "meatless meals". The original recipe called for farro in place of the wild rice but since I didn't have time to go on a hunt all over town, I thought wild rice would make a good substitute. I think it was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and I've never made toasted walnuts before... INCREDIBLE! I could have just had a plate of those for lunch... I loved them that much. :)

    ReplyDelete