Friday, August 19, 2011

Easy Orange Chicken

Sometimes, I just gotta cut corners. As a busy mom with three jobs (not including the one I love most, being a mom!), I don't always have time to get a gourmet lunch on the table in a timely manner. I'm not lamenting that I have a job, I feel very blessed to be able to provide some financial support when so many people are still struggling for work. That said, I've still got to eat and I like food that tastes good (imagine that!).

I've become clever at turning leftovers into a meal, if I do say so myself. This particular recipe was with what I had on hand. Come to think of it, most of the recipes that end up here are ones I thougt up on-the-fly without prior shopping for specific ingredients. I have come to know what I like to eat and the flavor parings I enjoy so I usually have enough of those ingredients to throw something together fast. Some of my favorites that ended up in this recipe are frozen mixed vegetables, short grain white rice, and rice vinegar.




Easy Orange Chicken
1 c frozen mixed vegetables (peas, corn, carrots, green beans)
1 t vegetable oil
8 oz. leftover Orange Chicken (mine was from Chinese takeout)
2 T rice vinegar
1/4 t red pepper flake (optional)
2 c cooked white rice
1 T soy sauce

Place mixed vegetables and vegetable oil in medium nonstick skillet. Heat over medium heat until thawed. Add leftover chicken and vinegar and heat until warmed throughout, stirring occasionally to avoid scorching. Divide cooked rice between two bowls and top with chicken and vegetable mixture, add red pepper flake if desired. Serve immediately with soy sauce. Serves 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment