Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Vintage Juicer


Ah, the hunt for the obscure kitchen utensil. While rummaging through old, dusty shelves of a thrift store is not for everyone, it happens to be one of the things I find particularly enjoyable. You never know when you might find just the thing you've been looking for... like this beautiful vintage glass juicer.

Based on the design and color, I would place the date the juicer was made circa 1950 making it 60+ years old. Isn't it wonderful! I saw it from across the shelf in a tiny thrift store in Ventura, CA when I was there last month on vacation. I practically started panting in anticipation before I even picked it up, afraid touching it would make me want it and that the price would put it out of my budget.

Imagine my surprise when the little paper tag said "$8 ~ broken, as is". I started looking for where it was broken, surely the bowl was cracked rendering it useless. And then I found the chip in the base (can you see it in the picture?). The break was so long ago that it has worn smooth from decades of use.

"Well, my little mon amie, I'll just take you home avec moi!" And, 12 juiced lemons later, it will forever have a place in my kitchen.

I am a happy bon viveur.

1 comment:

  1. Just one more reason why I really need to make the thrift store part of my regular shopping rotation...

    ReplyDelete