Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Grilled Pineapple Skewers


1 fresh pineapple, peeled, quartered and cut into 1/2 inch chunks
2 T dark rum (or 1/4 t rum extract)
1 c real maple syrup
1/4 c fresh blueberries
1 pint vanilla ice cream
8 skewers
8 fresh pineapple leaves, for garnish

In large bowl, mix rum and maple syrup. Toss pineapple chunks in syrup mixture and thread, alternating with blueberries, onto skewers. Brush fruit with syrup and grill 2 to 3 minutes per side or until softened. Remove from grill and cool to room temperature.

Scoop ice cream onto 4 plates or shallow bowls. Stand 2 pineapple leaves in ice cream and plate with 2 pineapple skewers. Drizzle with remaining syrup. Serve immediately. Serves 4.

Chef's Note: To reserve pineapple leaves, cut from fresh pineapple and place in a bowl of water until ready to use.

3 comments:

  1. I've never had grilled pineapple before (or any other fruit for that matter) but I would imagine this tastes delicious. Another one to add to the list of things I should try...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This could be made with rum flavored extract instead of the actual rum but I wouldn't omit it entirely. That rum flavor is perfect with the pineapples.

    Speaking of which, I've got a ripe pineapple that needs to be eaten. Guess I'd better find a recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I actually have rum extract - I use it in my dad's egg nog recipe around Christmastime... (at least, I *think* it's rum extract...)

    ReplyDelete