Saturday, April 24, 2010

What's in a Blog...


Well, this blog is supposed to be about food. And it is. However, I've noticed many food "bloggers" add commentary to their blog posts (some add a LOT of commentary). Since I am not sure how witty I really am, nor if anyone would actually read my commentary, I have refrained from adding my own ideas on this blog. I used to have another blog, once upon a time, where I did quite a lot of waxing eloquent on politics and religion but I'm not sure how interesting it was. Or if anyone even noticed when I stopped writing.

So, what's the idea of a food blog supposed to be? Just recipes, which is all this blog has been up to now? Or should some posts be a peek into my life on the edge of Phoenix? On the edge is actually quite an accurate description of my state of mental health. I'm asking you, Laura's Lunch followers, to let me know what you think about hearing my "voice" occasionally here. Or if you'd prefer I just keep my thoughts to myself.

It's all up to you. If you'd rather not have me go on and on about how I cut my finger while slicing potatoes, or that I sent the "ugly" casserole to my family so I could keep the pretty one for pictures, just say the word. But please, dear readers, be gentle.

5 comments:

  1. I would enjoy glimpsing into the window of your thought world and the reality of your cooking. I have enjoyed the recipes that you share. So I vote - share away....

    ReplyDelete
  2. My philosophy on my blog writing is that it is primarily for my enjoyment and documentation. The fact that a handful of my friends and acquaintances read along and comment is just a much-enjoyed bonus!

    I say keep sharing tasty recipes, and then write about whatever you feel like writing about!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay - so, yes, I DID notice when you stopped writing the other blog. It made me sad. :(

    And I think Chandra's right on - as long as you are enjoying it, and writing the blog doesn't become a chore you detest, then write whatever you feel like writing.

    Speaking as someone who is culinary-challenged, maybe little anecdotes like the couple you referenced at the end would be fun or, at least for me, an encouragement as I continue to try my hardest to cook and not worry about it being 100% perfect.

    (As an aside, when I read the "Cooks Creed" you have posted on your page, I seriously started having a panic attack and broke out in cold sweats. I agree with it completely but have no clue how to make that happen. I dunno why I have such a mental block when it comes to all of this. I just can't get it to make sense to me - the meal planning, the grocery shopping, the cooking... it makes me feel stupid. I'm a college graduate but I just can't figure it all out...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robyn, I didn't know you were reading my recipe blog. That's cool. :)

    Chandra, I'll take your advise and write about whatever my heart desired, as long as it pertains to food. Surprisingly, I have visitors to this blog from all over the world (today I had a hit from Manchester, UK) I don't know if any of those readers return, but it's interesting to know how big the "world" wide web really is.

    D, Thank you for saying kind things about my former blog. It was an outlet for me to discuss issues and document research (as Chandra said) but I felt it had run its course. I don't know, I'm getting pretty worked up about all the immigration talk... we'll see if I get mad enough to resurrect the blog.

    Now, about your cooking phobia... I think you are psyching yourself out of trying to prepare food that you are perfectly capable of doing. I don't make anything difficult. In fact, part of my M.O. is that a dish has to be easy enough for me to WANT to prepare it again. If it takes all day (or several) then chances are good, REALLY good, that I won't make the dish again no matter how delicious it was.

    Nothing I prepare ever EVER comes out 100% perfect. In fact, when I serve a meal Dan has to tell me "don't talk like your granny". She was an incredible cook but never served a meal without an apology.

    "Sorry it's too hot, it's too runny, too mushy, too dry, tough, salty..."

    It's detrimental to my enjoyment of the food I just worked so hard to prepare if I announce to everyone at the table what I think is wrong with the meal. I have only had one true failure in all the time writing this blog. That sounds like a successful culinary experience to me.

    If you would like, I can write a post on how I go about menu planning for the week.

    Don't give up, it's not as hard as you think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laura - I enjoy your blog. I like to pop over and look at what you are feeding to your family. Thanks for posting the yummy recipes.

    ReplyDelete