Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Easter Jello Salad

Courtesy of my mother who has made this recipe every Easter for over 40 years.



1 small box of each flavor of Jello desired
Traditional recipe; lime, lemon, orange, raspberry
4 c water
1/2 gallon vanilla ice cream
16 oz sour cream
1 T mayonnaise

Grease 9x13 baking dish with mayonnaise. Boil 1 c water and add lime jello. Stir until completely dissolved. Add 1 c vanilla ice cream and mix until melted. Gently pour mixture into prepared pan and refrigerate until set.

Prepare lemon jello in same steps as for lime. When lime jello is completely set (approximately 8 minutes), spread 1/2 c sour cream over lime layer. Pour lemon mixture onto lime over the back of a spoon to keep from disturbing lime layer. Refrigerate until set.

Repeat with next layer of orange and lastly with raspberry. May be served immediately after last layer is set. Serves 16.

2 comments:

  1. I'm trying to imagine what this ends up tasting like. It's the sour cream and the mayonnaise that are throwing me. Do they add a bite or flavor? Or do they act more like binding agents?

    There's a jello creation called Indian Summer Salad that my mom makes for almost every Easter that is always one of my favorites too. I guess nothing says Easter like jello? ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really can't taste the sour cream or mayo at all. The sour cream gives a tiny tang, but I wouldn't say you can tell. Unless, that is, you eat each layer individually as my children do.

    ReplyDelete