Monday, March 8, 2010

Bunratty Farmhouse Scones

In my eager anticipation for the arrival of Saint Patrick's Day next week, I will be posting some of my favorite Irish recipes. Erin go bragh!



Bunratty Farmhouse Scones

3 1/3 c flour
2 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
1/2 t baking soda
1 T sugar
1/4 c (1/2 stick) cold butter, cut into small pieces
3/4 c raisins
1 c buttermilk (or sour milk)
2 eggs, beaten
2 T half and half
Condiments: clotted cream, butter and jam.

Preheat oven to 400°. Lightly butter heavy large baking sheet, or spray with non-stick cooking spray.

Combine first 5 ingredient in large bowl, stir to blend. Using pastry cutter, work in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add raisins. Gradually stir in milk then add eggs. Mix just until dough forms.

Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface and roll into 1-inch-thick circle. Using 2-inch-diameter biscuit cutter, cut scones into rounds. Transfer scones to prepared baking sheet, brush tops of scones with half and half.

Bake at 400° until tops are golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Serve scones warm with butter, jam and clotted cream. (And tea with milk and sugar, of course!) Yield, 18-20 scones.

Chef's Note: Since my children don't particularly like raisins, I have adapted a method for white chocolate and cranberry scones. Substitute 1/2 c white chocolate chips in place of raisins and continue with recipe. Just after mixing until dough forms, divide dough in half. Add 1/4 c dried cranberries to one half of recipe and continue to baking as directed.

3 comments:

  1. Woot! I LOVE scones, but have been unable to find decent ones anywhere. I've definitely added this recipe to my "must try" list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These were super easy, I think I need to make more today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Using an Irish recipe probably contributed to the deliciousness of these scones.

    ReplyDelete