Friday, January 7, 2011

Chicken Tortilla Soup

I've tasted Chicken Tortilla soup at just about every Mexican restaurant in Southern California and Phoenix and have yet to be as impressed by any of them as I am with this recipe. It tastes exactly as I intended. Salty and mildly spicy with the tang of lime juice. It is wonderful.

I created this recipe by going for a specific taste combo of lime, cumin, cheese, and cilantro. I didn't have any fresh cilantro, so I used twice the amount of dried that any recipe I found called for because I love it. Feel free to decrease the cilantro to your taste, but I wouldn't change it much because the flavor balance with the other spices will be affected.


Chicken Tortilla Soup

3 large chicken breasts, washed and dried
1/4 t ground cumin
salt and pepper
2 T olive oil
1/4 one white onion, chopped
2 ~14 oz cans chicken broth
1 ~14 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 ~4 oz can diced mild green chilies, undrained
3 T lime juice
2 T dried cilantro, or 1/4 c chopped fresh cilantro
1 T dried oregano
1 t garlic powder
1 c frozen corn
1 c shredded Monterey Jack cheese
corn tortilla chips

Heat olive oil in dutch oven over medium high heat. Season chicken with salt, pepper and cumin and add chicken to heated oil. Cook over medium heat until no longer pink and juices run clear. Remove chicken from pan and set aside.

Add onion to pan and cook over medium heat until translucent. Add chicken broth, tomatoes, chilies, lime juice, cilantro, oregano, garlic, and corn. Bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 30 minutes.

Using fingers, shred chicken into bite sized pieces. Return chicken to pan and heat an additional 5 minutes.

Ladle into bowls, top each bowl with 1/4 c shredded cheese and a handful of crushed tortilla chips. Serves 4.

Note: In summer, I frequently broil a whole pan of chicken breast with olive oil and salt and pepper and store it in the fridge for use in recipes such as this. Feel free to use any leftover chicken you have from a previous meal to make this a super quick dinner. However, I wouldn't recommend using bbq flavored chicken. But then again... that just might end up a Tex Mex Chicken soup. I might just have to try that.

No comments:

Post a Comment