Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Golden~Crusted Brussels Sprouts


24 small brussels sprouts
1/c c olive oil ~ divided
Salt & freshly ground pepper ~ to taste
1/4 c grated Parmesan cheese
2 T lemon juice

Wash sprouts well. Trim stem ends and remove any raggedy outer leaves. Cut in half from stem to top; place in a bowl and toss gently with 1/4 c olive oil.

Heat 1/4 c olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Place brussels sprouts in pan flat side down (single-layer), sprinkle with a couple pinches of salt, cover, and cook 5-10 minutes; bottoms of sprouts should only show a hint of browning. Pierce one sprout to gauge if tender throughout; cover and continue cooking if needed.

Once just tender, uncover, turn heat to medium-high and cook until flat sides are deep brown and caramelized. Toss for browning on rounded side. Season with salt, fresh pepper and grated cheese. Plate and drizzle with lemon juice, serve immediately.

2 comments:

  1. Mmm... I used to love brussels sprouts as a kid. I wonder if I would still like them today? This recipe sounds easy. I think when my mom made them, she steamed them... can't remember...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was very easy and I'd recommend them. Unfortunately Dan was ill yesterday (sprouts lover!) so I don't know how truly successful they were. Our foodie didn't care for them much.

    ReplyDelete