Thursday, February 2, 2012

Punxsutawney Phil Cupcakes


Ok, so I didn't make any of this from scratch. I intended to bake the cupcakes myself and top them with homemade chocolate buttercream frosting, but who am I kidding? I picked up a dozen cupcakes at the bakery and instead of spending an hour in the kitchen, I spent it with my family. A good choice of time management, if I do say so myself.

These were so cute when they were done that the children didn't want to eat the groundhogs. How adorable is that? They did eventually devour it, Phil and all. This kind of special occasion baking is my favorite; easy prep with high impact.

Materials
Chocolate cupcakes ~ homemade or store bought, it won't affect the look of the final product
Chocolate buttercream frosting ~ again, no difference if you let someone do the baking for you
12 Oreo cookies
Nilla Wafers ~ one per cupcake
Sliced almonds ~ two per Nilla Wafer
1/4 c semisweet chocolate chips

Method
Place chocolate chips in zip-top bag and seal, removing as much air as possible. Microwave on full power at 30 second intervals until soft and melted. Cut a small hole in one corner of bag and squeeze chocolate onto Nilla Wafers making eyes and nose for groundhog. Add a small amount of melted chocolate to two sliced almonds and adhere to back of Nilla Wafer groundhog. Set groundhog cookies aside to set.

Separate chocolate Oreo cookies from creme filling and crush into crumbs. Frost cupcakes with buttercream and roll in cookie crumbs. Push groundhog cookie into frosting.

No comments:

Post a Comment